J. William Fulbright College of Arts & Sciences
Randall Woods received his Ph.D. from the University of Texas. In 1985 he was named John A. Cooper Professor of American History and in 1996 was promoted to Distinguished Professor. Woods has served as Associate Dean, Interim Dean, and Dean of Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences. He has published seven books, most notably, Fulbright: A Biography(Cambridge, 1995), which was nominated for both the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award and which won the Ferrell and Ledbetter Prizes. In 2006, the Free Press published LBJ: Architect of American Ambition. Prof. Woods was selected to be both Mary Ball Washington Distinguished Professor at University College, Dublin and the Fulbright 50th Anniversary Chair at the University of Bonn.
- US Diplomatic History, 1776-1900
- US and Vietnam
Ph.D., University of Texas at Austin
M.A., University of Texas at Austin
B.A., University of Texas at Austin
- Shadow Warrior: William E. Colby and the CIA (Basic Books, 2013)
- LBJ: Architect of American Ambition. Free Press/Simon and Schuster, 2006.
- Unto a Good Land: A History of the American People (Eerdman's, 2005) with David A. Harrell, et. al.
- Quest for Identity: America Since 1945. Cambridge, 2004.
- Vietnam and the American Political Tradition: The Politics of Dissent. (Cambridge, 2003) editor.
- J. William Fulbright, Vietnam, and the Search for a Cold War Foreign Policy. Cambridge University Press, 1998.
- America Interpreted: A Concise History with Readings 2 vols. (Harcourt-Brace, 1996) with Willard B. Gatewood.
- Fulbright: A Biography. Cambridge University Press, 1995.
- The Dawning of the Cold War: America's Quest for Order, 1945-1950. University of Georgia Press, 1991. with Howard Jones. Ivan R. Dee paperbacks, 1994.
- A Changing of the Guard: Anglo-American Relations, 1941-1946. University of North Carolina Press, 1990.
- A Black Odyssey: John Lewis Waller and the Promise of American Life, 1878-1900. University Press of Kansas, 1981.
- The Roosevelt Foreign Policy Establishment and the Good Neighbor; Argentina and the United States, 1941-1945. University Press of Kansas, 1979.