Degree Conferred: M.M. (MUSC)
Graduate Certificate Offered: Advanced Performance (non-degree)
Areas of Concentration for the Master of Music (M.M. Degree): Performance, Collaborative Piano, Composition, Music Theory, Music History, Instrumental and Choral Conducting, and Music Education.
Prerequisite for applying to the M.M. degree: Applicants should possess a bachelor’s degree with a major in music from an accredited institution. The applicant must apply to both the Graduate School and the Department of Music. In addition, applicants should schedule an audition/interview with the appropriate music faculty.
The specific requirements for admission to individual concentrations of the Master of Music degree program are:
- Performance and Collaborative Piano applicants must audition for or submit a DVD of a recorded performance to the appropriate graduate faculty.
- Music Education applicants are expected to have prior teaching experience and submit a DVD of a recent classroom teaching experience.
- Music History and Music Theory applicants should submit a paper representative of their work as well as scores for the Graduate Record Exam.
- Composition applicants are required to submit three of their compositions.
Requirements for the Master of Music Degree: In addition to the general requirements of the Graduate School the following must be met:
- All candidates pursuing the degree of Master of Music with concentrations in, Collaborative Piano, Composition, Conducting, Music History, Music Theory, and Performance are required to take a diagnostic exam for aural and written theory and history prior to the beginning of their first semester of study. Any student diagnosed with deficiencies will be required to register for remedial courses.
- Candidates needing to augment their piano skills will be required to take additional piano study.
- Candidates are required to take comprehensive written examinations followed by an oral examination after the completion of coursework.
- All candidates must participate in at least one ensemble per semester throughout their residence unless pursuing a concentration in Composition, Music Theory, Music History, or Music Education.
- Candidates for the Master of Music in Music History are expected to have or acquire reading and writing proficiency in the foreign language corresponding to their field of research (preferably German, Italian, or French).
Graduate Student Admissions
Step 1: Apply to the graduate school
Students seeking admission to graduate level studies in music should first apply online to the University of Arkansas Graduate School.
Letters of Recommendation: Please have three letters of recommendation sent to the Department of Music Chair.
Dr. Ronda Mains
University of Arkansas
Department of Music
Fayetteville, AR 72701
Do I need to take the GRE?
The GRE is not required for admission to graduate studies in music. The graduate school may require a standardized test score if your GPA is below 3.0.
Step 2: Music Audition/Interview
Contact the Department of Music to schedule an audition/interview. Department of Music Phone: (479) 575-4701
Christopher MacRae, voice
email@example.com, 479-575-4534, Room 309
Er-Gene Kahng, violin
firstname.lastname@example.org, 479-575-6270, Room 231
Paulo Eskitch, viola
email@example.com, Room 231
Dominic Na, cello
firstname.lastname@example.org, Room 303
Mike Montgomery, bass
email@example.com, Room 303
Jake Hertzog, guitar
firstname.lastname@example.org, Room 224
Jura Margulis, piano
email@example.com, 479-575-4178, Room 206
Chalon Ragsdale, percussion
firstname.lastname@example.org, 479-575-5838, Band
Stephen Caldwell, choral conducting
email@example.com, 479-575-3141, Room 332
Christopher Knighten, instrumental conducting
firstname.lastname@example.org, 479-575-4109, Band 209
Ronda Mains, flute
email@example.com, 479-575-5765, Room 201
Theresa Delaplain, oboe
firstname.lastname@example.org, 479-575-6385, Room 205
Nophachai Cholthitchanta, clarinet
email@example.com, 479-575-5850, Room 314
Eric Troiano, saxophone
firstname.lastname@example.org, 479-575-4190, Room 109
Lia Uribe, bassoon
email@example.com, 479-575-4138, Room 108
Richard Rulli, trumpet
firstname.lastname@example.org, 479-575-6383, Room 215
Timothy Thompson, french horn
email@example.com, 479-575-5762, Room 340
Cory Mixdorf, trombone
firstname.lastname@example.org, 479-575-6302, Room 230
Benjamin Pierce, euphonium/tuba
Bjp02@uark.edu, 479-575-4197, Room 226
Er-Gene Kahng (on leave 2016-2017)
Director of Graduate Advising
231 Music Building
Ronda Mains (interim Graduate Chair 2016-2017)
201 Music Building