The music department strives to enrich and inspire the human mind and spirit through the pursuit of excellence in creative activity, research, teaching, and service. The Department of Music is an accredited institutional member of the National Association of Schools of Music. Two baccalaureate degrees in music are available: the Bachelor of Music and the Bachelor of Arts with a Major in Music. Learn more in the catalog of studies.
Undergraduate Student Admissions
Thank you for your interest in our undergraduate music programs at the University of Arkansas! We appreciate the time, talent, and energy you and your support team have devoted to making the important decision of pursuing a music degree. For answers as you continue the admission process, please contact our undergraduate advising coordinator, Janet Knighten, at (479) 575-3934 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that all students wishing to enroll as music majors must complete two applications, a University of Arkansas application and a Department of Music application.
Step 1: Apply to the University
All first year students, transfer students, and international students must be admitted to both the University of Arkansas and to the Music Department. Complete the appropriate University of Arkansas application.
Step 2: Admission to the Department of Music
Students may start their application for admission to the Department of Music prior to being admitted to the University of Arkansas. However, acceptance as a degree seeking music major is contingent upon admission to the University of Arkansas.
- Guitar: Jake Hertzog, email@example.com (479)575-4701
- Piano: Piano performance, Professor Jura Margulis, firstname.lastname@example.org (479) 575-4178; all other piano Bachelor of Music, Dr. Tomoko Kashiwagi, email@example.com, (479) 575-5771
- Strings: Dr. Er-Gene Kahng, firstname.lastname@example.org (479) 575-6270
- Voice: Dr. Christopher MacRae, email@example.com (479) 575-4534
- Winds/Brass/Percussion: Connie Vick, firstname.lastname@example.org at (479) 575-7221
- All music major applicants must audition with the Department. After your application has been received, someone from the Music Office will help you schedule an audition date and put you in contact with the appropriate faculty members.
- 2017 admission audition days:
- Vocal Area: Dec 9, Feb 2, Mar 13
- String Area: Jan 30, Feb 13, Mar 13
- Winds and Percussion Area: Jan 23, Feb 6, Feb 27, Mar 13
Exceptions to On-Campus Auditions
Candidates who live a great distance from campus may submit a recording of the audition repertoire. Please contact the appropriate area (follow the links above) for more information.
Visiting the Department of Music
Contact Justin Hunter, Music Office Room 201, (479) 575-4701 or email email@example.com.