The Department of World Languages, Literatures & Cultures greatly encourages studying abroad to supplement and further the learning of any language. Any amount of time spent immersed in a language and its culture can immensely benefit language acquisition and all students should make an effort to study abroad.
The Office of Study Abroad & International Exchange serves the University of Arkansas’ campus with all our study abroad needs. Besides facilitating exchanges with outside providers, the Office of Study Abroad facilitates direct exchanges with universities abroad and develops Faculty-Led summer programs.
For more info about applying to study abroad, visit the Office of Study Abroad & International Exchange.
For more information about applying to any of the following Study Abroad programs, please visit or contact the Office of Study Abroad & International Exchange.
U of A - Faculty Led Programs
We recommend our own faculty-led programs first for a number of reasons:
- You get to travel with at least one U of A faculty member while taking classes abroad. This is a great chance to get to know your professors and fellow students for the rest of your time at the U of A.
- These programs happen over the summer, so they're often great choices for students wanting to study abroad without disrupting the regular academic year.
- From the get-go, you travel with a group. There's a support network there for you from day one.
- Don't like so much paperwork? Take advantage of earning U of A credit without the need for transfer credit.
U of A - Exchange Programs
Exchange programs that are administered by the U of A are great options for studying abroad:
- Instead of happening over the summer, our exchange programs are typically done for an entire semester or academic year. Longer time spent immersed in another culture makes the experience all the more valuable.
- You have a better idea of what it will cost because these are direct exchanges - which means you pay what you normally would for a normal semester at the U of A. These programs can be more economical options for students.
- Kansai Gaidai University, Osaka, Japan
- Kanto Gakuin University, Yokohama, Japan
- Shimane University, Matsue City, Japan
Other Recommended Programs
If you're looking for something a little different, but feel kind of overwhelmed by the exhaustive list on the Study Abroad website, our faculty has a few recommendations on some great programs out there.