McLarty Global Fellowship
Established through the generosity of Thomas “Mack” and Donna McLarty, the McLarty Global Fellowship Program funds graduate students in the Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences to work on key projects at Vital Voices Global Partnership in Washington, D.C., for one semester at a time.
With Vital Voices Global Partnership and as part of a global commitment made at the 2013 Annual Meeting of the Clinton Global Initiative to address current, pressing global women’s issues and promote international women’s advocacy, the McLarty Global Fellowship is designed to give students a unique opportunity to support, learn from and engage with a leading global non-governmental organization working to identify, invest in, and empower women leaders around the world.
Through leadership development and innovative training programs around the world, Vital Voices works to expand women’s roles in generating economic opportunities, increasing political participation, and protecting human rights. Its Global Leadership Network of women in 144 countries represents the vital voices of our time. Its mission is to identify, invest in, and bring visibility to extraordinary women around the world by unleashing their leadership potential to transform lives and accelerate peace and prosperity in their communities.
Specifically related to its partnership with the McLarty Global Fellowship Program, Vital Voices identifies high potential yet underserved women-owned small and medium-sized enterprises that are on the cusp of growth as the “missing middle” in the global economy. Based on its experience around the world, Vital Voices created the VV GROW Fellowship Program, a one-year intensive program to support growth-oriented women business owners to take their businesses and leadership to the next level. The program provides women business owners in Latin America, the Caribbean, Sub-Saharan Africa, the Middle East, and North Africa with a unique blend of online learning, in-person training, and tailored services.
McLarty Global Fellows are encouraged to incorporate their research interests into hands-on work with Vital Voices and their partners in the field. Vital Voices provides work space and equipment and staff members train and supervise McLarty Global Fellows.
Essential Functions of McLarty Global Fellows:
- provide critical research and communications support across the portfolio, including the development of literature reviews, research briefs, surveys, and databases.
- assist with proposal efforts and provide logistical, administrative, program development, and team management support as needed.
- complete a core project, which will enhance their curriculum vitae and their educational experience.
- give a presentation of their work at their home institution.
Academic Credit: Students may be eligible for up to 6 hours of course credit (3 hours of independent study, 3 hours of internship).
Time Commitment: 30 hours/week; one semester (12-16 weeks); offered fall.
Location: Washington, D.C.
- undergraduate juniors and seniors and graduate students in Fulbright College.
- demonstrate a commitment to women’s empowerment.
- have experience in research and data analysis, project management, policy analysis, marketing, or communications.
- demonstrate an interest in international affairs.
- have strong foreign language skills.
- have experience in Africa, Middle East, or Latin America.
APPLY by February 28
For more information, please contact:
Director of Employer Relations
Award Amount: $5,500-$7,500 offered by the Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences. Fellows are responsible for their own travel, expenses, and accommodations.