Dr. Marion received his Ph.D. in psychological and cultural anthropology from the University of California San Diego in 2006. He conducted his research among competitive ballroom dancers across North America and Western Europe, and his dissertation focused on how participation in this expressive, performative, and aesthetic activity shaped personal and collective constructions of deeply gendered meanings and identities. Ongoing research and publications continue to explore the interrelationships between performance, embodiment, and identity, and he also studies, presents, and writes about visual ethics, theory, and method in social research. Currently working on his fourth book, Dr. Marion is President-elect of the Society for Humanistic Anthropology, Past-president of the Society for Visual Anthropology, President of the Anthropology Section of the Southwestern Social Science Association, serves on the Editorial Boards of professional journals, and his students regularly participate in and present their own work at national meetings.
Performance; Embodiment; Body and Identity; Gender; Dress; Globalization; Meaning and Subjectivity; Translocality; Tourism and Travel; Apprenticeship; Ritual; Social Systems and Power Structures; Person-centered Ethnography; Media; Nonverbal Communication; Qualitative Research Methodology; Visual Literacy and Ethics; Psychological, Visual, and Medical Anthropology
ANTH 1023 - Introduction to Cultural Anthropology
ANTH 3563 - Culture and Medicine
ANTH 3573 - Ballroom Culture and Performance in the West
ANTH 3583 - Body and Identity
ANTH 4273 - Photography for Fieldwork
ANTH 4283 - Survey in Ethnographic Film
ANTH 482V - Applied Visual Research
ANTH 6813 - Seminar: Visual Theory
Ph.D. University of California San Diego
- Ballroom Dance and Glamour. London: Bloomsbury, 2014.
- Visual Research: A Concise introduction to Thinking Visually. London: Bloomsbury, 2013.
- Ballroom:Culture and Costume in Competitive Dance (Dress, Body, Culture). Oxford: Berg, 2008.
- Apprenticeship Pilgrimage: Developing Expertise through Travel and Training (Anthropology of Tourism: Heritage, Mobility, and Society), w/Dr. Lauren Griffithe. Lanham, MD: Lexington, 2018.
Articles & Chapters
- "File Naming in Digital Media Research: Examples from the Humanities and Social Sciences." Journal of Librarianship and Schoarly Communication 3(3):eP1260. (w/Jerome Crowder and Michele Reilly). 2015
- "Seeing and Being in Contemporary Orthodox Jewish Dress." In The Routledge Companion to Contemporary Jewish Cultures, Nadia Valman and Laurence Roth, Eds. London: Routledge, 297-307. 2014.
- "Contextualizing Content and Conduct in the LA and West Coast Salsa Scenes." In Salsa World: A Global Dance in Local Contexts, Sydney Hutchinson, ed. Philadephia: Temple University Press, 64-79. 2013
- "Competitive Ballroom Dance." Update article, Berg Encyclopedia of World Dress and Fashion, Joanne B. Eicher, ed. Berg Fashion Library Online. 2013.
- "Snapshot: Ballroom Practice Dress." Update article, Berg Encyclopedia of World Dress and Fashion, Joanne B. Eicher, ed. Berg Fashion Library Online. 2013.
- “Circulation as Destination: Considerations from the Translocal Culture of Competitive Ballroom Dance”, Journal for the Anthropological Study of Human Movement 17(2), 2012.
- “Introduction to Photographing an Emotion”, In Dance With Me: Ballroom Dancing and the Promise of Instant Intimacy. Julia Ericksen. New York: New York University Press, 2011
- “State of the Ethics in Visual Anthropology?”, (w/Sara Perry) Visual Anthropology Review 26(2): 96-104, 2010.
- “Photography as Ethnographic Passport”, Visual Anthropology Review 26(1): 24-30, 2010.
- “Which Way to the Ballroom?”, Suomen Antropologi (Journal of the Finnish Anthropological Society) 32 (2): 110-123, 2007.
- “Beyond Ballroom: Activity as Performance, Embodiment, and Identity”, Human Mosaic 36(2): 7-16, 2006.
- "Globalization" (w/Dr. Lauren Miller Griffith). Introduction to Cultural Anthropology: An Open Access Textbook, N. Brown, L. Gonzalez, T. McIlwraith, and P. Stein, eds. Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges and the American Anthropological Association, 2017.
- "Performance: (w/Dr. Lauren Miller Griffith). Introduction to Cultural Anthropology: An Open Access Textbook, N. Brown, L. Gonzalez, T. McIlwraith, and P. Stein, eds. Society for Anthropology in Community Colleges and the American Anthropological Association, 2017.
- "Becoming Popular: The Impact of Contemporary Media on the World of Competitive Ballroom Dance." Anthropology Now 8:115-24, 2016.