Assistant Professor, Biochemistry
(ARSC)-Arts & Sciences
(CHBC)-Chemistry & Biochemistry
The research interest in our group includes protein biochemistry, microbiology, and synthetic biology. The major approach is to use genetic code expansion technique to incorporate noncanonical amino acids into proteins for different studies:
1) Protein biochemistry: developing noncanonical amino acid incorporation systems for labeling proteins, studying post-translational modifications, and mapping protein-protein interaction networks.
2) Microbiology: applying the genetic code expansion technique in Salmonella, one of the most widely distributed pathogens. Specific topics include studying effects of post-translational modifications in Salmonella toxicity, exploring host targets of Salmonella toxins, and designing small molecules to block Salmonella metabolic organelle functions.
3) Synthetic biology: utilizing naturally designed protein complexes in bacteria as nano-bioreactors for biofuel and chemical compound production.
Postdoctoral associate, Yale University
PhD, Iowa State University
Publications at University of Arkansas
9. Venkat S, Sturges J, Stahman A, Gregory C, Gan Q, Fan C*. Genetically Incorporating Two Distinct Post-translational Modifications into One Protein Simultaneously. ACS Synth. Biol. 2018;7(2):689-695.
8. Venkat S, Gregory C, Meng K, Gan Q, and Fan C*. A facile protocol to generate site-specifically acetylated proteins in Escherichia coli. J. Vis. Exp. 2017;130:e57061.
7. Bryson D, Fan C, Guo L-T, Miller C, Söll D, and Liu D. Continuous directed evolution of aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases to alter amino acid specificity and enhance activity. Nat. Chem. Biol. 2017;13(12):1253-1260.
6. Venkat S, Nannapaneni DT, Gregory C, Gan Q, McIntosh M*, and Fan C*. Genetically Encoding Thioacetyl-lysine as a Nondeacetylatable Analog of Lysine Acetylation in Escherichia coli. FEBS Open Bio. 2017;7(11):1805-1814.
5. Venkat S, Gregory C, Gan Q, and Fan C*. Biochemical Characterization of Lysine Acetylation of Tyrosyl-tRNA Synthetase in Escherichia coli. ChemBioChem. 2017;18(19):1928-1934.
4. Venkat S, Gregory C; Sturges J, Gan Q and Fan C*, Studying the Lysine Acetylation of Malate Dehydrogenase. J. Mol. Biol. 2017; 429(9):1396-1405.
3. Gan Q and Fan C*, Increasing the Fidelity of Noncanonical Amino Acid Incorporation in Cell-Free Protein Synthesis. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta. 2017;1861(11 Pt B):3047-3052.
2. Gan Q, Lehman BP, Bobik TA and Fan C*, Expanding the genetic code of Salmonella with non-canonical amino acids. Scientific Reports. 2016;6:39220
1. Fan C*, Ip K, Söll D. Expanding the genetic code of Escherichia coli with phosphotyrosine. FEBS Lett. 2016;590(17):3040-3047.
Selected Publications During Postdoc and PhD Training
10. Xiong H, Reynolds N, Fan C et al. Dual genetic encoding of acetyl-lysine and non-deacetylatable thioacetyl-lysine mediated by flexizyme. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. 2016;55(12):4083-4086.
9. Fan C*, Xiong H, Reynolds N, and Söll D. Rationally evolving tRNAPyl for efficient incorporation of noncanonical amino acids. Nucleic Acids Res. 2015;43(22):e156.
8. Amiram M, Haimovich A, Fan C et al. Evolution of translation machinery in recoded bacteria enables multi-site incorporation of nonstandard amino acids. Nat. Biotechnol. 2015;33(12):1272-1279.
7. Fan C, Ho J, Chirathivat N, Söll D, and Wang Y-S. Exploring the substrate range of wild-type aminoacyl-tRNA synthetases. ChemBioChem. 2014;15(12):1805-1809.
6. Fan C, Cheng S, Sinha S and Bobik TA. Interactions between the termini of lumen enzymes and shell proteins mediate enzyme encapsulation into bacterial microcompartments. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2012;09(37):14995-15000.
5. Fan C and Bobik TA. The N-terminal region of the medium subunit (PduD) packages adenosylcobalamin-dependent diol dehydratase (PduCDE) into the Pdu micro-compartment. J. Bacteriol. 2011;193(20):5623-5628.
4. Fan C, Cheng S, Liu Y et al. Short N-terminal sequences package proteins into bacterial microcompartments. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA. 2010;107 (16):7509-7514.
3. Fan C, Fromm HJ, and Bobik TA. Kinetic and functional analysis of L-threonine kinase, the PduX enzyme of Salmonella enterica. J. Biol. Chem. 2009;284(30): 20240-20248.
2. Fan C and Bobik TA. The PduX enzyme of Salmonella enterica is an L threonine kinase used for coenzyme B12 synthesis. J. Biol. Chem. 2008;283(17):11322-11329.
1. Fan C and Bobik TA. Functional characterization and mutation analysis of human ATP:Cob(I)alamin adenosyltransferase. Biochemistry. 2008;47(9):2806-2813.
Complete List of Published Work in PubMed:
Complete list of Publications