J. William Fulbright College of Arts & Sciences
(CHBC)-Chemistry & Biochemistry
Functional materials impact today’s technology and society tremendously. The He Group endeavors to develop new materials that have interesting physical, electronic, optical, and adaptive properties. We further fundamental science to applications. Our research involves organic synthesis, materials synthesis, property assessment, and application development.
CHEM 4723, Experimental Methods in Organic Chemistry
CHEM 5753, Methods of Organic Analysis
- Postdoc. (Materials Chemistry), Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Ph.D. (Chemistry), ETH Zürich
- M.S. (Chemistry), University of Pennsylvania
- B.S. (Chemistry), magna cum laude, The City College of New York
- Schroeder, V.; Savagatrup, S.; He, M.; Lin, S.; Swager, T. “Carbon nanotube chemical sensors.” Chem. Rev. 2019, 119, 599–663.
- Savagatrup, S.; Schroeder, V.; He, X.; Lin, S.; He, M.; Yassine, O.; Salama, K. N.; Zhang, X.; Swager, T. M. “Bio-inspired carbon monoxide sensors with voltage-activated sensitivity.” Angew. Chem. Int. Ed.2017, 56, 14066–14070.
- He, M.; Swager, T. M. “Covalent functionalization of carbon nanomaterials with iodonium salts.” Chem. Mater.2016, 28, 8542–8549.
- He, M.; Bode, J. W. “E pluribus unum: Isolation, structure determination, network analysis and DFT studies of a single metastable structure from a shapeshifting mixture of 852 bullvalene structural isomers.” Org. Biomol. Chem. 2013, 11, 1306–1317.
- He, M.; Bode, J. W. “Racemization as a stereochemical measure of dynamics and robustness in shapeshifting organic molecules.” Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A.2011,36,14752–14756.
- ETH Medal, 2015
- Swiss National Science Foundation (SNF) Early Postdoc Mobility Fellowship, 2014
- Roche Symposium – Leading Chemists, 2012
- Isabell & Jerome Karle Scholarship, 2008
- Ernest Borek Scholarship, 2008
- Merck Index Award, 2008
- Merck Index, Women in Chemistry, Special Recognition Award, 2008
- Recognition Award, CSTEP 16th Annual Statewide Student Conference, 2008
- Dr. Serge Jean Scholarship, 2007
- ABRCMS Travel Award, 2007
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Undergraduate Research Award, 2007
- Ephraim and Libby Banks Scholarship, 2007
- Frank and Rose Brescia Award II, 2007
- Max Pavey Scholarship Award, 2006