Professor, Organic Chemistry
J. William Fulbright College of Arts & Sciences
(CHBC)-Chemistry & Biochemistry
Organic Chemistry: carbohydrates, glycosidases, catalysis, molecular recognition, micro- and nanogels
We use synthesis, catalysis, biochemistry, and molecular recognition in combination with material science and computation in an interdisciplinary approach to design new potent glycosidase inhibitors, evaluate glycosidase structures, mechanisms and function, and provide new chemical tools for the study of biological events. For more information, please see our website.
Dr. rer. nat.
- B. Sharma, and S. Striegler,* Tailored interactions of the secondary coordination sphere enhance the hydrolytic activity of crosslinked microgels, ACS Catal. 2019, 2019;9(3):1686-91
- B. Sharma, J. B. Pickens, S. Striegler,* and J. D. Barnett, Glycoside hydrolysis by a microgel templated with a competitive glycosidase inhibitor, ACS Catal. 2018, 8, 8788-8795
- B. Sharma, S. Striegler,* and M. Whaley, Modulating the catalytic performance of an immobilized catalyst with matrix effects – a critical evaluation, ACS Catal. 2018, 8 7710-7718.
- B. Sharma and S. Striegler,* Crosslinked microgels as platform for hydrolytic catalysts, Biomacromolecules 2018, 19(4), 1164–1174
Postdoctoral Fellow, CalTech CA
Postdoctoral Fellow, Ulm, Germany
- 2018, Master Teacher Award (Fulbright College)
- 2015/17, Outstanding Mentor Award
- 2016, Arkansas Biosciences Institute New Investigator of the Year
- 2013, New Faculty Commendation for Teaching Commitment from the Wally Cordes Teaching and Faculty Support Center
- 2008, Honorary member of the Golden Key International Honour Society
- 2008, NSF CAREER Award
- 2007, Outstanding Faculty Member of COSAM, Student Government Association, Auburn, AL
- 1998 – 2003, Margarete-von-Wrangell Fellow, Fellowship for Research and Habilitation, Stuttgart, Germany
- 1996 – 1997, Postdoctoral Fellowship (DFG), Bonn, Germany