Professor, Organic Chemistry
J. William Fulbright College of Arts & Sciences
(CHBC)-Chemistry & Biochemistry
Organic Chemistry: carbohydrates, glycosidases, catalysis, molecular recognition, micro- and nanogels
We use synthesis, catalysis, biochemistry, and molecular recognition in combination with material science and computation in an interdisciplinary approach to design new potent glycosidase inhibitors, evaluate glycosidase structures, mechanisms and function, and provide new chemical tools for the study of biological events. For more information, please see our website.
Dr. rer. nat.
- B. Sharma, S. Striegler,* Crosslinked microgels as platform for hydrolytic catalysts Biomacromolecules 2018, ASAP.
- J.B. Pickens, L.G. Mills, F. Wang,* S. Striegler,* Evaluating hydrophobic galactonoamidines as transition state analogs for enzymatic β-galactoside hydrolysis Biorg. Chem. 2018, 77, 144-151.
- J.B. Pickens, F. Wang, S. Striegler,* Picomolar inhibition of β-galactosidase (bovine liver) attributed to loop closure Biomol. Med. Chem. 2017, 25(20), 5194-5202.
- S. Striegler*, and J. B. Pickens, Discrimination of chiral copper(II) complexes upon binding of galactonoamidine ligands Dalton Trans. 2016, 45, 15203-15210.
- J. B. Pickens, S. Striegler,* Q.-H. Fan, Arabinoamidine synthesis and its inhibition toward b-glucosidase (sweet almonds) in comparison to a library of galactonoamidines, Bioorg. Med. Chem., 2016, 24(16), 3371-3377
- S. Striegler*, Q.-H. Fan, and N.P. Rath, Binuclear copper(II) complexes discriminating epimeric glycosides and a- and b-glycosidic bonds in aqueous solution, J. Catal. 2016, 338, 349-364.
- Q.-H. Fan, J. B. Pickens, S. Striegler*, and C. D. Gervaise, Illuminating the binding interactions of galactonoamidines during the inhibition of b-galactosidase (E. coli), Bioorg. Med. Chem. 2016, 24(4), 661-671.
Postdoctoral Fellow, CalTech CA
Postdoctoral Fellow, Ulm, Germany
- 2015/17, Outstanding Mentor Award
- 2016, Arkansas Biosciences Institute New Investigator of the Year
- 2013, New Faculty Commendation for Teaching Commitment from the Wally Cordes Teaching and Faculty Support Center
- 2008, Honorary member of the Golden Key International Honour Society
- 2008, NSF CAREER Award
- 2007, Outstanding Faculty Member of COSAM, Student Government Association, Auburn, AL
- 1998 – 2003, Margarete-von-Wrangell Fellow, Fellowship for Research and Habilitation, Stuttgart, Germany
- 1996 – 1997, Postdoctoral Fellowship (DFG), Bonn, Germany