Assistant Professor, Organic Chemistry
J. William Fulbright College of Arts & Sciences
(CHBC)-Chemistry & Biochemistry
Group website: https://comp.uark.edu/~weishi
Our long-term research objective is to increase the impact of organic chemistry (both molecules and reactions) on biomedical research. Effective crosstalk between chemistry and biology has made synthetic small molecules thrive in the field of chemical genetics; however, their counterpart of natural products generated from phenotypic screens is lagging far behind. To overcome many challenges in natural products research, especially target identification, we aim at using Medicinal Chemistry, Organic Synthesis, and Chemical Proteomics as tools to understand biological systems in the context of drug design and drug discovery.
Postdoctoral Fellow, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, MD
Ph.D., University of Alberta, Canada
M.S., East China University of Science and Technology
B.S., Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China
1. Zong, G.; Aljewari, H.; Hu, Z.; Shi, W. Q.* “Revealing the Pharmacophore of Ipomoeassin F through Molecular Editing”, Org. Lett. 2016, 18, 1674−1677.
2. Zong, G.; Barber, E.; Aljewari, H.; Zhou, J.; Hu, Z.; Du, Y.; Shi, W. Q.* “Total synthesis and biological evaluation of ipomoeassin F and its unnatural 11R-epimer” J. Org. Chem. 2015, 80, 9279−9291.
3. Shi, W.; Nacev, B. A.; Aftab, B.; Head, S.; Rudin, C. M.; Liu, J. O.* “Itraconazole side chain analogs: structure–¬¬activity relationship studies for inhibition of endothelial cell proliferation, vascular endothelial growth factor receptor 2 (VEGFR2) glycosylation, and Hedgehog signaling” J. Med. Chem. 2011, 54, 7363–7374.
4. Shi, W.; Marcus, S. L.; Lowary, T. L.* “Cytotoxicity and topoisomerase I/II inhibition of glycosylated 2-phenyl-indoles, 2-phenyl-benzo[b]thiophenes and 2-phenyl-benzo[b]furans” Bioorg. Med. Chem. 2011, 19, 603–612.
5. Shi, W.; Nacev, B. A.; Bhat, S.; Liu, J. O.* “Impact of absolute stereochemistry on the antiangiogenic and antifungal activities of itraconazole” ACS Med. Chem. Lett. 2010, 1, 155–159.
6. Shi, W.; Coleman, R. S.; Lowary, T. L.* “Synthesis and DNA-binding affinity studies of glycosylated intercalators designed as functional mimics of the anthracycline antibiotics” Org. Biomol. Chem. 2009, 7, 3709–3722.