Thank you to the many hopeful writers who applied to our MFA program this year! Admissions for Fall 2018 officially closed on January 12.
Each year, we receive hundreds of applications to fill only a handful of spots in fiction, poetry, and literary translation. Our admissions committees review each manuscript carefully. Though the process takes time, we consider it a privilege to read your work.
Applicants should not expect to hear about their admissions status until mid- to late-March. If you have not heard from our program by April 1, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The admissions period for Fall 2019 will open September 1, 2018 and will be handled exclusively online.
Below is a list of materials that you'll be required to upload with your application:
- A Creative Writing Sample:
Fiction applicants: 20 pages of short fiction or a novel excerpt
Poetry applicants: 8-10 poems
Translation applicants: 5-6 pages of poetry OR fiction translated into English, together with copies of the original texts
- Statement of Purpose: a statement approximately 300 words in length that gives us a sense of who you are as a writer and a person
- Critical Writing Sample: 10 pages of academic writing, such as a research paper
- GRE Scores: one unofficial copy to be uploaded immediately (we'll request an official score report sent to the Univ. of Arkansas, code 6866, only if you are admitted to our MFA program)
- All College Transcripts: unofficial copies to be uploaded immediately (official copies will be requested later, only if you are admitted to our MFA program)
- 3 Letters of Recommendation: you will provide email addresses for your recommenders, who will then be prompted to upload letters. The deadline for letters is January 22, 2018.
- Teaching Statement: a statement, at least 250 words in length, that describes your interest in and approach to teaching at the university level, particularly in regards to the teaching of composition
- TOEFL Scores: required for applicants whose native language is not English
Please note: there is no application fee for the first step of our application process. Initially, applications will be evaluated solely on the merits of the writing. You should not apply for admission to the UA Graduate School until you receive permission from the MFA program to do so.