Alumni Distinguished Professor
J. William Fulbright College of Arts & Sciences
Elliott West received his B.A. from the University of Texas (1967) and his Ph.D. from the University of Colorado (1971). He joined the U of A faculty in 1979. Two of his books, Growing Up With the Country: Childhood on the Far-Western Frontier (1989) and The Way to the West: Essays on the Central Plains (1995) received the Western Heritage Award. The Contested Plains: Indians, Goldseekers, and the Rush to Colorado (1998) received five awards including the Francis Parkman Prize and PEN Center Award. His most recent book is The Last Indian War: The Nez Perce Story (2009).
- American West
- American Indian
- History of the American Indian
- The West of the Imagination
- The American Frontier
B.A., University of Texas
Ph.D., University of Colorado
- The Last Indian War: The Nez Perce Story. Pivotal Moments in American History Series. Oxford University Press, 2009.
- With Rodman W. Paul. Mining Frontiers of the Far West: 1848-1880. Revised and Expanded Edition. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 2001.
- The Contested Plains: Indians, Goldseekers, and the Rush to Colorado. Lawrence: University Press of Kansas, 1998.
- Growing Up in Twentieth-Century America: A History and Resource Guide. Westport,CT: Greenwood Press, 1996.
- The Way to the West: Essays on the Central Plains. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 1995.
- Growing Up With the Country: Childhood on the Far-Western Frontier. Histories of the Frontier Series. Albuquerque: University of New Mexico Press, 1989.
- The Saloon on the Rocky Mountain Mining Frontier. Lincoln: University of Nebraska Press, 1979.
- University of Arkansas Alumni Distinguished Research Award, 2015
- Robert Foster Cherry Award Finalist, 2009
- Charles and Nadine Baum Faculty Teaching Award, 2001
- Fulbright College, Master Researcher, 1998
- University of Arkansas Teacher of the Year, 1995
- Carnegie Foundation‘s Arkansas Professor of the Year, 1995