Journalism Core Courses:
A minimum of 34 semester hours in journalism is required, including:
|Course Number||Course Title|
|JOUR 1023||Media and Society|
|JOUR 1033||Media Writing|
|JOUR 3633||Media Law|
(See advisor for enrollment)
|Journalism Writing Requirement|
A minimum grade of C is required in all journalism courses that serve as prerequisites for advanced journalism courses. In certain cases, a minimum grade of B is required. Students must select a concentration or major when they enter the journalism school.
Please see the following pages for additional information.
- Advertising and Public Relations Major
- Journalism Concentration
- Broadcast Radio & TV Concentration
- Multimedia Storytelling and Production Concentration
All students are encouraged to take JOUR 402V Internship. (Learn more about internships.)
Some classes with other departments can count as Journalism electives.
- Fulbright College and the University require certain coursework for all its graduates. See a list of the Fulbright College and University courses here.
- 40-hour Rule. Students must take at least 40 hours of 3000-level or above courses from any college in the University. Certain 2000-level courses may be counted.
- 24-hour Rule. Students must take at least 24 hours of 3000-level or above courses in Fulbright College of Arts & Sciences.
- Students must complete a minimum of 84 hours of classes outside of journalism to graduate.
- 25% “D”s Rule. Students may not graduate if they have the grade of “D” in more than 25% of their coursework.
- College Writing Requirement. Journalism students fulfill the writing requirement by completing a research paper in JOUR 4981 during the senior year.
Undergraduate Course Descriptions
Visit the Undergraduate Course Catalog for the current course listings and prerequisites.
Graduate Students and 4000 / 5000-level courses
Graduate students may take any 4000 or 5000 level course for graduate credit. See the Graduate Catalog for the latest course listings.