The School of Journalism and Strategic Media has the most outstanding scholarship support of all departments and programs in Fulbright College. More than $100,000 a year is awarded to journalism majors who meet requirements of the various departmental scholarships. Students must be journalism majors to apply for these scholarships. There are no scholarships designated for entering freshmen.
INTRODUCING OUR 2021 SCHOLARSHIP RECIPIENTSView recipient slideshow
About Journalism Scholarships
Scholarships are supported from several sources. Some come from endowed accounts established decades ago by admirers of Dr. Walter J. Lemke, for whom the school is formerly named. Others have been established more recently by professional groups and through funds that honor an individual by encouraging special studies in journalism. Professional groups that provide scholarship support include the following:
- Arkansas Broadcasters Association
- Society of Professional Journalists
- Northwest Arkansas Advertising Federation
- Memphis Gridiron
Other scholarships include:
- The Elizabeth Messner Scholarship, which provides about $13,000 for one year to an undergraduate student who excels in writing. Students who apply with the general application form will be considered for the Messner scholarship.
- The Tony Dyke Scholarship in Sports Journalism, which provides about $16,000 for one year to an undergraduate student who is passionate about sports reporting, whether in print or broadcast. The application deadline is generally in late February. Award decisions are made by the journalism faculty according to guidelines specified by the scholarship. Students who apply with the general application form will be considered for the Dyke scholarship.
Scholarships for First-Generation, Low-Income and Underrepresented Students
The School of Journalism and Strategic Media welcomes diversity in its broadest sense, including but not limited to race/ethnicity, gender, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, ability/disability, and socioeconomic background.
As a part of its diversity mission, the journalism school encourages students to apply for scholarships that are available through national organizations. Below are links to these organizations.
Students may apply for departmental funds to pay for expenses related to applying for scholarships or participating in on-site internship opportunities, such as reporting on national conferences held by the organizations. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out about such funding: