The School of Journalism and Strategic Media has the most outstanding scholarship support of all departments and programs in Fulbright College. About $60,000 to $70,000 a year is awarded to journalism majors who meet requirements of the various departmental scholarships. Students must be journalism majors to apply for these scholarships. There are no scholarships designated for entering freshmen. The application process is usually in January and February for the following semester.
The deadline for departmental journalism scholarships is February 17th, 2017.
Scholarships are supported from several sources. Some come from endowed accounts established decades ago by admirers of Dr. Walter J. Lemke, for whom the school is formerly named. Others have been established more recently by professional groups and through funds that honor an individual by encouraging special studies in journalism.
Professional groups that provide scholarship support include the following:
- Arkansas Broadcasters Association
- Society of Professional Journalists
- Northwest Arkansas Advertising Federation
- Memphis Gridiron
Other scholarships include:
- The Elizabeth Messner Scholarship, which provides about $13,000 for one year to an undergraduate student who excels in writing. Students who apply with the general application form will be considered for the Messner scholarship.
- The Tony Dyke Scholarship in Sports Journalism, which provides about $16,000 for one year to an undergraduate student who is passionate about sports reporting, whether in print or broadcast.The application deadline is generally in late February. Award decisions are made by the journalism faculty according to guidelines specified by the scholarship. Students who apply with the general application form will be considered for the Dyke scholarship.
- The Dick Bennett/Bill Moyers scholarship for students interested in investigative reporting. Download Application
- The Jim Morriss Scholarship/Internship for students who wish to compete for the chance to intern at the Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. Download Application