Applying to Medical School
From MCAT to Acceptance
Arrange letters of recommendation
- COVID-19 update: go here for revised letter request form
- We cannot accept mailed or emailed letters. Individual letter writers will now be asked to upload letters. Click here for revised procedures.
Assemble college transcripts
Schedule appointments with Career Development Center
- Headshot photo
- Mock interview(s)
Work on AMCAS or other application
PMAC timeline (subject to change due to COVID-19 pandemic)
What you need:
- Completed AMCAS (TMDSAS, AACOMAS) form
- Headshot photo (jpg, png)
- PMAC committee letter waiver form
What you do:
- Fill out the PMAC application form. It will ask you to upload the items listed above.
- Have your Individual letters of recommendation letter writers upload their letters as described in the instructions.
- For the 2020 summer application cycle, you must submit the PMAC form and have letters sent in by 11:59 p.m. on July 15th, 2020. Note: You can submit your PMAC application before this date, and in light of the pandemic and MCAT cancellations, you are encouraged to submit your application as soon as it is ready. Also note, this does NOT mean you must take the MCAT before this date to go throught the PMAC process in the summer.
- For the fall application cycle, you must submit the completed PMAC form and letters by 11:59 p.m. August 26th, 2020
Submission of your PMAC application is the prerequisite for the PMAC interview. Interviews will be scheduled by program advisors and communicated to applicants via email.
We normally recommend that you submit your primary application (to AMCAS and/or AACOMAS) after your PMAC interview. This year, waiting may not be advisable. For Texas residents applying through TMDSAS, submitting before August 1 is (normally) highly recommended. Our best advice for now is to submit your application when you, in consultation with those you trust, feel it is ready.
Once you've clicked submit, it is now an excellent time to thank your individual letter writers. Thank you notes, thank you emails, and thank yous in person are all appropriate.
Committee letters are based on application materials, interviews, and MCAT scores. (Note that MCAT scores are not required to submit forms or for the PMAC interviews themselves.) Applicants are evaluated as soon as all materials are available, during regularly scheduled meetings of the PMAC. Committee letters are typically uploaded to application services within 10 days of the evaluation (not the interview).
The time line of these processes will vary by medical school.
- Application Services
- Personal Statement
- Letters of Recommendation
- Premedical Advisory Committee
- Medical School Interview
- Applying 2020: Part 1 video, Oct 24 2019
- Applying to Texas 2020: video, Ivey pdf, Baughn ppt - Feb 27 2020
- Applying to Texas medical schools, Mar 27, 2019