Applying to Medical School
From MCAT to Acceptance
Registration for test dates in January and March will open on Tuesday, November 10 at 11 a.m. Central. Preregistration will begin on November 2 at 11 a.m. Central.
There are 31 MCAT testing dates between January and September including a similar
number of testing appointments as in previous years. There will be an extra date in
The MCAT exam will return to its traditional length. Each exam day will offer two full-length exam sessions: one at 7:30 a.m. and the other at 3 p.m.
As in a typical testing year, scores will be reported within a 30-35 day window following test dates.
Arrange letters of recommendation
- Go here for letter request form
- We cannot accept mailed or emailed letters. Individual letter writers will now be asked to upload letters. Click here for the procedures.
Assemble college transcripts
Schedule appointments with Career Development Center
- Headshot photo
- Mock interview(s)
Work on AMCAS or other application
PMAC timeline (subject to change due to COVID-19 pandemic)
What you need:
- Completed AMCAS (TMDSAS, AACOMAS) form
- Headshot photo (jpg, png)
- PMAC committee letter waiver form
What you do:
- Fill out the PMAC application form. It will ask you to upload the items listed above.
- Have your Individual letters of recommendation letter writers upload their letters as described in the instructions.
- For the 2021 summer application cycle, you must submit the PMAC form and have letters sent in by 11:59 p.m. on the announced date.
- For the fall application cycle, you must submit the completed PMAC form and letters by 11:59 p.m. August 27th, 2021
Submission of your PMAC application is the prerequisite for the PMAC interview. Interviews will be scheduled by program advisors and communicated to applicants via email.
During the pandemic, PMAC interviews consist of a 20 minute virtual interview with two members of the Premed Advisory Committee and a prerecorded video of you answering three common interview questions.
You will be enrolled in a special Blackboard course that allows you to upload your prerecorded videos. Check here for instructions.
We normally recommend that you submit your primary application (to AMCAS and/or AACOMAS) after your PMAC interview. This year, waiting may not be advisable. For Texas residents applying through TMDSAS, submitting before August 1 is (normally) highly recommended. Our best advice for now is to submit your application when you, in consultation with those you trust, feel it is ready.
Once you've clicked submit, it is now an excellent time to thank your individual letter writers. Thank you notes, thank you emails, and thank yous in person are all appropriate.
Committee letters are based on application materials, interviews, and MCAT scores. (Note that MCAT scores are not required to submit forms or for the PMAC interviews themselves.) Applicants are evaluated as soon as all materials are available, during regularly scheduled meetings of the PMAC. Committee letters are typically uploaded to application services within 10 days of the evaluation (not the interview) for applicants who have submitted their primary applications to AMCAS, TMDSAS, or AACOMAS.
The time line of these processes will vary by medical school.
- Application Services
- Personal Statement
- Letters of Recommendation
- Premedical Advisory Committee
- Medical School Interview
- Applying Pt 1: 2021 class, zoom presentation video Oct 29, 2020
- Applying to Texas EY2022 video from Mar 31, 2021
- Applying Pt 2: 2021 AMCAS and PMAC, video from Apr 28, 2021
- Applying 2020 class: video, Oct 24 2019
- Applying to Texas 2020: video, Ivey pdf, Baughn ppt - Feb 27 2020
- Applying to Texas medical schools, Mar 27, 2019