Graduate Students in English Organization
The Graduate Students in English (GSE), a Registered Student Organization, fosters professional, academic, and social opportunities for students in the English Department’s M.A., M.F.A., and Ph.D. programs. Under the direction of a faculty advisor, the GSE offers regular events designed to connect graduate students with a scholarly and professional community outside of the classroom as students work toward the completion of their degree programs. The GSE also works to open communication between graduate students and faculty to ensure that all parties stay informed and work together for the success of the department as a whole. During the fall semester, the GSE hosts a variety of degree-specific events for M.A., M.F.A., and Ph.D. students. In the spring, the GSE hosts its annual student conference and offers a panel discussion on entering the academic and non-academic job markets.
Online Newsletter and Facebook Page
Visit the GSE online newsletter, The Sapient Pig, to access issues of the newsletter and to learn more about the GSE, recent graduate student accomplishments, and upcoming graduate student events.
Also, like the Graduate Students in English Facebook Page to stay current with GSE news!
2017-2018 GSE Officers
- President: Kirsty Bleyl
- Vice President: Luis Marin
- Secretary/Treasurer: Mitchell Simpson
- PhD Liaison: Sharon Fox
- MFA Liaison: Gwen Mauroner
- CLCS Liaison: Ellen Eubanks
- MA Liaison: John Stout
- Student-Faculty Liaison: Andrew Butler
- Media Development Director: Kate Voss
2017-2018 GSE Faculty Advisor
- Dr. Toni Jensen
2017-2018 GSE-Sponsored Events
- Inaugural TA Festivus: Tuesday, Sept. 12th, 10:30 a.m. - 1:30 p.m., Kimpel 339
- GSE Fall Picnic: Sunday, Oct. 8th, 11:30 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., Wilson Park Gazebo
- GSE Professionalization Event: "When Is It Okay to Say 'No'?" (Drs. Hinrichsen, Jensen, and Jolliffe will be talking with graduate students about how to prioritize one's workload in one's post-graduate career.) - Wednesday, Oct. 25th, 12:00-1:00 p.m., Kimpel Hall 713
- GSE Professionalization Event: English Alumni Speaker Panel on Pursuing Careers in Secondary Education - Monday, Nov. 6th, 5:15-6:15 p.m., Old Main 208