Graduate Students in English Organization
The Graduate Students in English (GSE), a Registered Student Organization, fosters professional, academic, and social opportunities for students in the English Department’s M.A., M.F.A., and Ph.D. programs. Under the direction of a faculty advisor, the GSE offers regular events designed to connect graduate students with a scholarly and professional community outside of the classroom as students work toward the completion of their degree programs. The GSE also works to open communication between graduate students and faculty to ensure that all parties stay informed and work together for the success of the department as a whole. During the fall semester, the GSE hosts a variety of degree-specific events for M.A., M.F.A., and Ph.D. students. In the spring, the GSE hosts its annual student conference and offers a panel discussion on entering the academic and non-academic job markets.
Visit the GSE online newsletter, The Sapient Pig, to access issues of the newsletter and to learn more about the GSE, recent graduate student accomplishments, and upcoming graduate student events.
Also, like the Graduate Students in English Facebook Page to stay current with GSE news!
2018-2019 GSE Officers
- President: Tessa Swehla
- Vice President: Sharon Fox
- Secretary/Treasurer: Chris Borntrager
- PhD Liaison: Jordan Savage
- MFA Liaison: Rome Font
- CLCS Liaison: William Lemley
- MA Liaison: Vanessa Sweet
- Student-Faculty Liaison: Dana Blair
- Media Development Director: Kristen Figgins
2018-2019 GSE Faculty Advisor
- Dr. Toni Jensen
2018-2019 Social and Professionalization Events for Graduate Students
- Tuesday, Oct. 2nd, 5-6 p.m. - Speaker Panel Event: “Graduate Internships” - Champions Hall 413
- Wednesday, Oct. 10th, 9:00 a.m. - Guest Speaker Q&A: Dr. Joseph Fruscione, author of Succeeding Outside of the Academy, will speak to graduate students by Skype - Kimpel 339
- Friday, Oct. 19th, 4:00 p.m. - Guest Speaker Q&A: Dr. Jaime Harker, author of The Lesbian South: Southern Feminists, the Women in Print Movement, and the Queer Literary Canon, will speak to students - Kimpel 214
- Tuesday, Oct. 23rd, 11:30 a.m. - Pedagogy Lunch Series: Prof. Jo Hsu's Discussion of Designing the Article Writing Workshop Course - Kimpel 116
- Tuesday, Nov. 6th, 2:00 p.m. - GSE-Sponsored Event: “Learn How to Manage Stress in Graduate School” - Kimpel 407
- Tuesday, Nov. 13th, 5:00 p.m. - Speaker Panel Event: “Finding a Career in University Administration with Your Graduate Degree in English” - Champions Hall 413