Christopher L. Liner
Maurice Storm Endowed Chair
(ARSC)-Arts & Sciences
Christopher Liner is Chairman of the Department of Geosciences at the University of Arkansas and holds the Maurice F. Storm Endowed Chair in Petroleum Geology. He is a member of SEG, AAPG, AGU, Seismological Society of America, an Honorary Member of the Geophysical Society of Houston, and a corresponding member of the European Academy of Sciences. He served as 2014/5 SEG President, and has previously served SEG as Geophysics Editor, and was the 2012 SEG Distinguished Instructor (Elements of Seismic Dispersion). He authors the long-standing occasional column Seismosin The Leading Edge, Seismosblog, and the World Oil Magazine ColumnWhat's New in Exploration(2010). Liner’s book projects include finalizing the SEG 3rdedition of Elements of 3D Seismologyand co-authoring The Art and Science of Seismic Interpretationto be published by Springer. He teaches the EAGE short course Carbonate Essentials: Pores to Prospects.
Liner’s background is both academic and industrial. Eleven years of business experience includes Western Geophysical, Conoco, Golden Geophysical, and Saudi Aramco. He has held faculty positions at the universities of Tulsa, Houston, and, currently, Arkansas. His research interests are carbonate characterization and advanced seismic interpretation methods. His education includes the University of Arkansas (BS in geology), University of Tulsa (MS in geophysics), and a PhD in geophysics from the Colorado School of Mines working with the Center for Wave Phenomena.
Carbonate and unconventional resource plays, reservoir characterization and monitoring for hydrocarbon and CO2 sequestration, advanced seismic interpretation methods, seismic data analysis and processing, near surface geophysics, seismic wave propagation.
GEOS 3533/5533 Petroleum Geophysics
GEOS 5143 3D Seismic Exploration
GEOS 560V Imperial Barrel Award
University of Arkansas, BS Geology w Geophysics Option, 1978
University of Tulsa, MS Geophysics, 1980
Colorado School of Mines, PhD Geophysics w Math Minor, 1989
- Liner, Christopher L.and McGilvery, Thomas, The Art and Science of Seismic Interpretation, 2017, Springer, c. 140 p (in preparation)
- Liner, Christopher L., Elements of 3D Seismology 3rdEdition, 2016, Society of Exploration Geophysicists, in press. Previous editions: 1999, 2004
- Liner, Christopher L., Elements of Seismic Dispersion: A somewhat practical guide to frequency-dependent phenomena, 2012, Society of Exploration Geophysicists, 179 p.
- Liner, Christopher L., 2016, Negative Q in52 Things You Should Know About Rock Physics, pp. 64-65, Agile Libre, (in press)
SELECTED PEER-REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS H-Score=14 (7/2016)
- Liner, Christopher L., 2014, Long-wave elastic attenuation produced by horizontal layering, The Leading Edge, 936-940.
- Li, J., Liner, Christopher L., and Stewart, R., 2014, Time-Lapse Seismic Modeling for CO2 Sequestration at the Dickman Oilfield, Ness County, Kansas, GEOPHYSICS, 79(2), B81-95.
- Li, J., Liner, Christopher L., Geng, P., and Zeng, J., 2013, Convolutional time-lapse seismic modeling for CO2 sequestration at the Dickman oilfield, Ness County, Kansas, GEOPHYSICS, 78 (3), B147-B158.
- Bodmann, B., and Liner, Christopher L., 2012, Spikes, roots and aliasing: recovering bandlimited signals from roots of the short-time Fourier transform, SIAM J. Appl. Math. 72-5, pp. 1449-1473
1979-1980 Western Geophysical
1980-1986 Conoco Inc.
1989 Fairfield Industries
1990-2004 University of Tulsa
2005-2007 Saudi Aramco
2008-2012 University of Houston
2012- University of Arkansas