Sturgis Study Abroad has been made possible by a $2.5 million endowment from the Roy and Christine Sturgis Charitable Trust Foundation and must be used solely to fund study abroad by students who are enrolled in the Fulbright College Honors Program and do not hold a prestigious Fellowship. Established to provide funding for undergraduate research and study abroad, the Sturgis Study Abroad Grant program has awarded just over $100,000 to students in each of the last four years.
Two hundred forty (240) students have been able to travel abroad since 2001. Fulbright Honors student have visited over thirty-one (31) countries on the six major continents, under the Sturgis banner: Argentina, Australia, Austria, Belize, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Denmark, Egypt, England, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Mexico, Morocco, Nepal, New Zealand, Russia, Rwanda, Scotland, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and Syria.
Award amounts vary depending on the quality of applications, the intended program of study, duration of study, and relevance of the proposed study to the student. Students who have not studied abroad previously may be given priority in the allocation of funds.
- Enrolled as either a College Honors or Departmental Honors student in Fulbright College Honors Program and in good standing both at time of application and departure.
- Completed at least 6 hours of Honors credit by date of application
- 1st year students must have completed 3 hours in their first semester and be enrolled in 3 hours in their second.
- Must be considered full time during their program.
- 3 hours for intersessions, 6 hours for summer, 15 hours for semester
February 1 - January Intersession, Spring
October 1 - Summer, Fall, Academic Year
Apply for the Sturgis Study Abroad Grant through the Office of Study Abroad!